Tuesday, March 27, 2007

When first reading the book, I was amazed at the description of the poverty. Reading further, and discovering the dangers in such a long journey as Enrique's- from Honduras to America- I realized that the poverty experienced by many in this country was reason enough to risk such a journey as Enrique did. It seems that the poverty experienced in our own country does not even compare to that of Honduras. I decided to look further into Honduras, and a description of its economy, so that I may get a better picture of the context in which the book takes place. I've included a link to the Library of Congress' website on Honduras. Feel free to explore, it may paint a better picture of where Enrique is coming from (and where he's going).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently finished this wonderful book, being of Houndrean decent. I was amazed by the full discribtion of want Enrique and anothers like himself go through to reach America and there loved ones. My mother is from La Ceiba Honduras and even though she arrived here in 1971, I know understand the poverty that she, my aunt and the rest of my family and other famalies go through yesterday and even today. More books need to be written about these types of situations. Praise to the author, Enrique and his family....