Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Initial Reactions


So, first I can’t get over how much information is provided in the prologue. The first few pages made me wonder if all of the events are really true or are there exaggerations. To be complete honest, it seems more of a mockery to take a white, presumably upper class women and recreate a Guatemalan, adolescent boy’s journey. However, the author admits to her luxuries before her story begins, so as a reader I am going to try and keep an open mind.
I am really glad that Nazario provides the alarming statistic about other children who take Enrique’s same journey. The number is humbling and scary. Humbling because there is a large number of individuals who never make it to America, but they still endure the hardships for hope of a better future with their mothers. The large amount of illegal immigrants from Central America is startling because the United States is considering changing our official language or at least adding Spanish as a second official language. I don’t know, I guess this story is already raising a lot of issues and questions. One thing I do know is that I totally sympathize more with Enrique than his mother. Already, I kind of have resentment towards Lourdes for leaving her son. I just feel as though she could have had other options. I guess we will see. But, I know that I already feel strongly about this and I wonder if there are other people, young and old, who feel strongly in favor of Lourdes and her initial decision???

No comments: