Friday, March 30, 2007

Some Cool Poems...

Upon reading the riveting tale of Enrique and his quest to be reunited with his mother, I recalled several poems in Unsettling America, an anthology of multicultural poetry, that touch upon similar themes, emotions, concepts, etc that can be found in Nazario's text. An obvious theme in particular is that of immigration and the (at times) dangerous voyages to America. Below are a few of the poems that really supplement the themes found in this story. Feel free to explore some or all of the following poems, and think of ways that the topics in the poems relate to Enrique's Journey.

1. "We Never Stopped Crossing Borders", by Luis J. Rodriquez
2. "Where is My Country", by Nellie Wong
3. "What Do I Know of Journey", by David Meltzer
4. "Dream Poem", by Mary Jo Bona
5. "Today We Will Not Invisible Nor Silent", by Victoria Lena Manyarrows
6. "La Migra", by Pat Mora
7. "An Anthem", by Sonia Sanchez

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any links to the words of any of these poems. I am a teacher and want to share some poetry about immigration with my class but I am not having any luck.